Fundamental to the success of any Enterprise Architecture, Business Process or Planning initiative is the ability to make successful decisions and to communicate the value to the organization.
There are two broad categories when communicating information to your organization and its stakeholders:
- Corporate Intelligence – models, charts and dashboards are used as decision support tools
- What if analysis – where models are used to see the impact of change and downstream risks, costs and complexity
Corporate Intelligence is generally used for management purposes. The reports themselves are not usually deliverables but help to communicate status, progress, issues, corrective actions and impact of change.
They are key decision support tools for managing programs of work.
We can apply traditional business intelligence techniques to help us understand the data.
- Dashboards – what is the big picture?
- Crosstabs/pivots – how does the data break down?
- Drill down/up/through – how is our information interrelated?
- Data warehouses – How are we trending over time?
- A scorecard to show the health of the architecture and the critical processes in action
- A pivot table to show how the organization structure is supporting the key business processes
- A drill down model to connect processes, organizations, locations and applications demonstrating the impact of change
- A dashboard showing a current state architecture vs a target state architecture
'What if' Analysis provides the ability for users to understand the impact of change on an underlying model. Through this analysis we can ask detailed questions about the impact of change on the rest of the organization in order to anticipate the desired outcome. We can look at the affect of running several potential scenarios across the model and compare the benefits.
'What If' analysis helps:
- Identify impact of change on the rest of the organization – who and what is affected?
- Look at regulatory changes on our business processes – what is the impact and cost?
- Optimize the model – what is the best use of our resources to solve a problem?
The Casewise Analytics pack provides a rich set of tools to perform these capabilities.