Profile – Investment Accounting Team
The Investment Accounting team (IA) are part of the group’s Life, Pensions & Insurance division. The team is responsible for pricing the securities, purchased by Fund Managers on behalf of various clients, and for the calculation of unitised fund prices which are communicated to various parties including risk advisers, the media and performance analysts.
The team operates in a highly regulated environment and are subject to frequent audits. Support is provided by the Business Process Management Consultancy & Support team who offer a variety of services including:
- Consultancy – Provide expertise around Business Process Management and other management disciplines
- Innovation – Design, implementation and support of new capabilities
- Standards Agency – Set standards, leveraging industry best practice
- Business Improvement – Support improvement initiatives
• The creation of a centralized knowledge management infrastructure
• Reduce risk, improve control and standardize how the processes are performed
• Centralization of knowledge assets
• Mapping key processes from end to end
• Processes performed adhere to best practice
The IA team had accumulated a large number of documents but had no formal knowledge management infrastructure in place to manage the documents effectively. This resulted in out of date and duplicated documents, held in a variety of locations. Team members were therefore greatly reliant upon subject matter experts to retain core information and to support the audits.
The audits highlighted a number of risks associated to how knowledge was being managed. The management team therefore required a low maintenance solution that would enable knowledge to be managed more effectively and meet the future needs of the business.
The BPM team used the Casewise Modelling Suite to document the key processes and introduced a framework for managing knowledge, based upon EA principals. The framework provided the means to store knowledge in way that was both structured and intuitive to the business. Formal documentation change control arrangements were also introduced, including new roles with responsibility for process & knowledge assets and technical authoring standards & templates were provided to improve the quality of documentation.
The solution has enabled the business to:
- Gain an improved understanding of the adequacy of knowledge around each business process and assign process maturity ratings accordingly
- Gain an improved understanding of the overall customer experience by mapping key processes from end to end
- Identify the risks associated to the processes and capture / improve the mitigating controls
- Standardize the execution of the process, through the introduction of Standard Operating Procedures.
The teams Knowledge Management capability and controls environment has been greatly improved and error rates for documented processes have reduced significantly. The new knowledge management capability has proved useful for various purposes including process audits, new staff induction & training, risk assessments and change. Process improvements are now also easier to identify through greater visibility and clarification of the end to end business processes.
• Sustainable and scalable repository for knowledge assets
• Powerful modelling and publishing capability
• Consistent top performer in independent analyst reviews.